Brian Head Photography Workshop
Fall Colors in Southern Utah
September 26 - 28, 2022
A Hidden Gem of Southern Utah
The Brian Head Photography Workshop is timed for peak fall colors in amazing Brian Head, UT. Southern Utah has some of the most amazing aspens which come alive in vibrant colors during Autumn. Red, orange and yellow fill the mountains here for a short time in Fall.
Brian Head sits at an elevation of 9600′ above sea level and the surrounding area tops out at a lofty 11,300′. Duck Creek Village is nearby as is Cedar Breaks National Monument and both are stunning in Autumn. There is so much to explore during our 3 full days that you’ll be wishing to come back for more.
Autumn in Brian Head, Utah
We’ve timed this 3 day workshop to coincide with great fall colors and the quietness of midweek. Over the course of 3 full days we’ll be exploring the surrounding area and the hidden gems it offers for photography. Our itinerary will be flexible to allow for changing conditions in both weather and light.
Photography options include massive vistas with over 6000 vertical feet of layers, high elevation hoodoos, lava fields with aspens, forests and lakes. It’s really an endless playground for photography and Autumn is the absolute best time to explore!
Are you looking for extended learning and a more in-depth experience in Brian Head, UT? Consider a Custom Workshop prior to the workshop or in early October to take advantage of peak conditions. Special pricing is available, please inquire.
Workshop registration info is at the bottom of the page. Come explore Brian Head with us and discover a hidden gem of Southern Utah!
Brian Head Photography Workshop
September 26 - 28, 2022
$1295 per person
Our Brian Head Photography Workshop is offered for all skill levels. We provide professional and personalized instruction every step of the way, so you won’t lost in large groups.
Our Brian Head Photo Workshop focuses on learning, creating and exploring in a small group setting. Our workshops are always more than simply getting to the “right place at the right time”. We like to think of it as the best place at the appropriate time. Come join us and see what we mean and put it into practice.
Lodging is NOT included in the Workshop tuition. If you would like a recommendation for lodging, please contact me directly. Brian Head has many lodging options including hotels, cabins and vacation rentals.
The workshop will leave and return to Brian Head daily. Please plan on staying relatively close to this area for convenience. There are lodging options in nearby towns but I’d strongly recommend staying in Brian Head. Please note you will be responsible to get to the meeting location in the morning on time. We will not be picking you up from your hotel in the mornings.
A sample itinerary for 3 days. Be prepared for full days, wildlife sightings and a LOT of colors!
Day 1: Explore Brian Head by car and a short hike as the sun rises. Fall colors are everywhere and we’ll be shooting forest scenes. After lunch we’ll head up to near 11,000 ft to photograph some stands of red and orange aspens. We’ll finish the day with telephoto lenses and layers.
Day 2: We’ll be out before sunrise again, making our way towards strange lava fields filled with aspens. Lunch will be away from the hotel today before exploring a nearby lake lined with aspens. Sunset will have the 4% crescent moon on this night as an added bonus.
Day 3: One more day of dawn patrol to an area with another lake and autumn colors. Lunch will be in Parowan on this day before heading up the plateau from a different route. We’ll finish the day with more layers or forests, depending on conditions. You’re going to be tired!
- Light to moderate hiking is required for many locations in and around Brian Head. We also offer Custom Workshops if you wish to customize your experience.
- Hiking is mostly along roadsides, gravel roads and trails, and dirt trails. Rain or snow may create different conditions.
- You must be able to carry and transport all of your own photography gear. We’re able to help within reason. If you need assistance, please arrange this with us prior to booking.
- Brian Head sits at 9600 feet above sea level. Stay hydrated, rest and know hiking/walking will be a little slower here than at sea level. We’ll be shooting at elevations between 7000 and 11,300 ft.
Located 90 minutes from Zion National Park
Located 90 Minutes from Bryce Canyon National Park
2 Hours from Capitol Reef
4 Hours from Las Vegas
- Camera Body (Digital or Film)
- Various lenses. We generally use anything from an ultra wide-angle to medium telephoto. Rarely do we ever need anything wider than 14mm. Long lenses of 200mm – 600mm can also be useful and fun to use.
- Tripod (highly recommended)
- Extra Batteries/charger.
- Circular Polarizer*
- Graduated Neutral Density filters*
- Extra memory cards (you’ll use them, guaranteed!)
- Hiking shoes/boots.
- Extra layers. Late September will likely be cold in the morning and days can be mild. It can also be wet or snowy so be prepared for a mixed bag of weather.
- More details available upon booking.
- Deposit of 50% ($650) due upon booking and the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior to Workshop start date.
- Cancellations 90 days or more from the workshop date will receive a full refund minus a $200 non-refundable deposit.
- Cancellations within 90 days of the workshop date are non-refundable. You may apply paid monies towards a different workshop based upon availability. Custom Workshops are available so we’ll work with you in the event you need to cancel within the 90 days of a workshop date.
- Please note “days” are full calendar days.