Capitol Reef Photgraphy Workshop
3 Day Autumn Photography Retreat
October 24-28, 2022
Slow Photography Autumn Retreat
The Capitol Reef Photo Workshop is different than the standard photography workshop. Our Autumn Retreat focuses on an approach to photography called Slow Photography. While some workshops race around to predetermined compositions and locations, we don’t do that for one simple reason. We want to connect with the landscape as much as photograph it.
Late October in Capitol Reef is my absolute favorite time of year here. Amazing colors, perfect weather and great light all add to the stunning scenery. Autumn in the desert is a time to slow down, to soak in the beauty and to allow time to create images. Read on to find out more about this unique offering.
What is Slow Photography?
Slow Photography is about not rushing around, not chasing light and not being at the “right place at the right time”. That approach leads to predictable and repetitive images. When we slow our approach by being more present in the landscape, new opportunities for compositions and discoveries present themselves.
Slow Photography is not to be confused with laziness or mediocre images though. I’d argue the opposite is true. This Autumn Retreat is set in a spectacular landscape which allows time to discover, time to create and time to connect. It’s through this approach where personally meaningful images are created while equally enjoying the landscape.
Are you looking for extended learning and a more in-depth experience in Capitol Reef and Beyond? Consider a Custom Workshop following the workshop dates. Special pricing is available, please inquire.
Come explore Capitol Reef with us!
Read my blog post for an indepth look at slow photography
Capitol Reef Photo Workshop - Autumn Retreat
October 24 - 28, 2022
$2195 – includes one photographer with spouse/partner
Deposit of 50% ($1100) due upon booking and the remaining 50% will be charged 90 days prior (July 26, 2022) to Workshop start date.
Our Capitol Reef Autumn Retreat is offered for all skill levels. We provide professional and personalized instruction every step of the way, so you won’t lost in large groups.
Our Capitol Reef Workshop focuses on learning, creating and exploring in a small group setting. Our workshops are always more than simply getting to the “right place at the right time”. We like to think of it as the best place at the appropriate time. Come join us and see what we mean and put it into practice.
4 Nights included in Torrey, UT. Breakfast is included with your lodging. Book soon for the best room choice:) Details upon request.
A sample itinerary for 3 days of shooting, relaxing and learning in stunning Capitol Reef.
Day 1 (25th): We’ll begin with breakfast and depart by 8:15 AM. The morning will be focused on intimate landscapes at a location which offers exploring. Afternoon and evening will focus on creative photography techniques until sunset. Note: There is a new moon and the skies will be very dark.
Day 2: The morning will begin with breakfast at 7:30 and out the door by 8:15 AM. We’ll be shooting fall colors at a location about 1 hour away in gorgeous morning light. The afternoon will be all about telephoto photography using lenses 200mm and longer. Get ready for some layers:) The evening will lead us back near Torrey to shoot the crescent moon at 2.5% using our telephoto knowledge. Dinner will follow.
Day 3: My favorite day of the autumn retreat. Breakfast is whenever you want, so sleep in and enjoy the peace of the desert. We’ll depart by 10AM with sack lunches and spend the day learning about reflected light. Hiking is in a flat canyon and the amazing light lasts until about 4:30 PM. I can’t wait for you to see this area!
- Light to moderate hiking is required for many locations. We also offer Custom Workshops if you wish to customize your experience.
- Hiking is mostly along roadsides, gravel roads and trails, and sandy canyons. Rain or snow may create different conditions.
- You must be able to carry and transport all of your own photography gear. We’re able to help within reason. If you need assistance, please arrange this with us prior to booking.
- Torrey sits at about 7000 feet above sea level and we’ll be traveling between 11,000 ft to 4500 ft. Stay hydrated, rest and know hiking/walking will be a little slower here than at sea level.
Torrey, UT is located in South Central Utah near Capitol Reef National Park and the Grand Staircase Escalante Monument.
Las Vegas – 5 hours, Moab – 2 1/2 hours, Zion/Springdale – 3 1/2 hours, Bryce Canyon – 2 1/2 hours on the most scenic road in Utah:)
- Camera Body
- Various lenses. We generally use anything from an ultra wide-angle to medium telephoto. Rarely do we ever need anything wider than 14mm. Long lenses of 200mm – 600mm will be used for the 2nd afternoon and evening.
- Extra Batteries/charger.
- Circular Polarizer*
- Graduated Neutral Density filters*
- Extra memory cards (you’ll use them, guaranteed!)
- Hiking shoes/boots.
- Extra layers. October will likely be cold in the morning and days can be mild to warm. It can also be wet or snowy so be prepared for a mixed bag of weather.
- More details available upon booking.
- Cancellations 90 days or more from the workshop date will receive a full refund minus a $200 non-refundable deposit.
- Cancellations within 90 days of the workshop date are non-refundable. You may apply paid monies towards a different workshop based upon availability. Custom Workshops are available so we’ll work with you in the event you need to cancel within the 90 days of a workshop date.
- Please note “days” are full calendar days.