Pinhole Photography 1-Day Workshop in Southern Utah
Our 1-Day Pinhole Photography Workshop is a unique offering for those who wish to explore Southern Utah through a different “lens”. Pinhole Photography is one of the simplest forms of photography. The camera has no lens, no viewfinder, no batteries, no settings. We are one of the only, if not only, companies to offer this unique experience in the USA! We guarantee you’ll create images of Southern Utah unlike anything you’ve seen before.
What You’ll Learn: Pinhole Photography Workshop
- How to create meaningful and unique images
- Pinhole Photography basics
- How different films render color differently
- Simplicity and fun with photography
- You’ll learn to see the world from a different perspective
- The joy and magic of pinhole photography
What’s Included: Pinhole Photography Workshop
- We provide 2 different Pinhole Cameras to use. We use Zero Image Pinhole Cameras, one is a small 6×6 format and the other can shoot 6×6, 6×7, 6×9 or 6×12.
- 2 rolls of medium format film to expose. For 6×6 format, you have 12 exposures. For 6×12 format, you have 6 exposures. We’ll shoot one roll of color slide film and one roll of color negative film. If you feel like shooting more, we’ll have extra rolls.
- Developing & Scanning. This is handled by a professional lab and the scans are sufficient for prints up to 11″ x 14″ and WAY more than you need for social media.
- Files will be uploaded to an online gallery. You’ll be notified via email when your film scans are complete and ready to download.
- Film will be mailed to you. Please note, additional shipping will be added for all addresses outside the USA.
Why Pinhole Photography
Pinhole Photography uses a small hole (pinhole) in a lightproof box, where the light is projected and inverted onto a surface (film). You can read much more about Pinhole Photography and the Camera Obscura effect in the links. For our purposes, we’re using high quality, hand crafted cameras with a machined pinhole which is capable of producing incredibly detailed images. All images will have a vignette and everything is in focus due to the very large small apertures (f/160 for the 6×12 & f/138 for the 6×6).
Because of this nearly infinite depth of field, everything from the front of the camera to infinity is in focus. No other camera can do this, not even large format cameras. There is also no viewfinder on the camera so compositions become more intuitive than precise. Horizons remain straight despite the wide angles and the distant mountains or cliffs will remain large, unlike using a wide-angle lens. The only thing you need to do is determine how long to open the shutter for and exposures are generally quite long.
Pinhole Photography allows for a different perspective of the landscape and allows for unique images that you can call your own. Images appear to have a painterly effect and are very fun to use for all ages. We look forward to exploring Southern Utah with you through the “lens” of a pinhole camera.
Pricing & Logistics
- Offered near Zion National Park in the Greater Zion Area.
- $500/person (includes camera usage, film)
- Limited to 2 people only. We want to ensure you have ample time to learn and make the best images possible.
- Meeting location to be determined based upon your location.
- Full Day Workshop with a midday break for lunch. Hours will vary by the season. Generally 7AM-11AM & 4PM – 9PM. Please note this is not a sunset or sunrise tour but we will be starting at sunrise and ending at sunset. We will be visiting photographic locations best suited for film photography. We’ll explore various landscapes and various types of light.
- No refunds are offered due to weather conditions. You may reschedule to a different day (based upon availability). There are always locations to shoot comfortably, no matter the weather and SW Utah is blessed with great weather throughout the year.
What to Bring
- A sense of discovery and curiosity. The world is different through a pinhole!
- Please wear shoes or hiking boots. No sandals or flip flops due to the rugged terrain.
- Very light hiking is involved but we can customize this workshop to the fitness level of the group.
- Bring sunscreen, hat and layers. Even in mid summer it can be cool in the desert, depending on our location.
- Lunch is not included. We’ll break for lunch and reconvene in the afternoon.
- We will have complimentary refreshments such as Gatorade, soft drinks and water in our cooler. You may also store food that you bring.