Capitol Reef National Park –
Capitol Reef National Park is a photography gem and is the least visited National Park in Utah. This is our favorite location to photograph in all of Utah! Join us and we’ll show you why. This is the real Capitol Reef National Park and we guarantee you’ve never seen anything like it! This tour is dedicated to catching sunrise at some of the most dramatic and wild vistas in Capitol Reef. This is NOT on paved roads and is inaccessible to standard rental cars.
- NOTE: Temple of the Sun and Temple of the Moon are 100% inaccessible as of November 1, 2020 until further notice. The road has been destroyed from the North and South and now requires a 5+ mile hike one way. We will be photographing them from above which requires a mild 3 mile round-trip hike. Please contact us with questions.
- North or South of Highway 24. Capitol Reef is a large park and much of it is beyond the main highway. Conditions may dictate our location. North offers a dramatic view of the Temple of the Sun and Moon. South offers a dramatic view of the Waterpocket Fold and Henry Mountains. North and South locations are equally impressive and dramatic might be an understatement! Road conditions and weather conditions will determine our destination. We will also discuss this upon booking or you may contact us prior to discuss.
- Meeting time is 1 1/2 – 2 hours before sunrise. It’s a commitment to get to these locations, that’s what makes them so great!
- Transportation is provided from your lodging in Torrey or lodging between Torrey and Capitol Reef NP. If staying outside the immediate vicinity of the park, please plan on meeting at the visitor center. Directions HERE
- Light hiking (1 mile with ~200ft elevation gain, slightly more if shooting Temple of the Sun & Moon). We can customize this tour to your preference if you’d prefer not to hike or are unable to hike.
- Please be prepared for changing weather conditions. Capitol Reef has a wide range of weather conditions and can change quickly. We’ll advise you on the weather conditions prior to the tour.
- Tour Duration: Half Day, 90 minutes before sunrise until about noon, depending on our location.
- Water and N/A beverages included. We’ll have a cooler for your snacks or drinks.
- All Photo Tours are Private
- $400 – 1 person
- $700 – 2 people
- $1000 – 3 people
- Limited to 3 people
- +$75 for non-photographer
Cancellation Policy – Capitol Reef Tours
- All tours are fully prepaid at the time of booking.
- Cancellations 30 days or more from the tour date will receive a full refund.
- 29 days – 2 days prior: 75% will be refunded or you may reschedule based upon availability.
- Within 2 days: No refund offered, you may reschedule based upon availability.
- Please note “days” are full calendar days.
Note: Capitol Reef National Park’s weather can be quite dramatic at times and roads may be impassable to all vehicles. If this is the case, we will provide a few options:
- Half Day Sunrise or Sunset Photo Tour and refund the difference. This is mostly along paved roads while still beautiful.
- Rebook to a different day, based upon availability and conditions.
What to Bring
- Camera Body
- Various lenses. We generally use anything from an ultra wide-angle to medium telephoto. Rarely do we ever need anything longer than 300mm or wider than 14mm.
- Extra Batteries/charger. USB ports available in vehicle for charging.
- Circular Polarizer*
- Graduated Neutral Density filters*
- Extra memory cards
- Hiking shoes/boots. We don’t recommend sandals or flip flops due to the rugged terrain.
- Extra layers. It can be cold at sunrise, even in the summer!
- Waterproof jacket if there’s a chance of rain. We’ll advise you in advance.
- Gloves/Hat (Fall-Spring)
- We will have complimentary refreshments such as Gatorade, soft drinks and water in our cooler. You may also store food that you bring.
- We’ll provide complimentary hand warmers as needed.
*Indicates optional items and not necessary for this photo tour.