Yant Flat Photo Tour – Sunset Hiking
Yant Flat or “Candy Cliffs” is a spectacular landscape of folded and twisted sandstone, well beyond the crowds of Zion National Park. Yant Flat is a playground for Landscape Photography as the afternoon and evening light reveals forms and patterns everywhere! Our Yant Flat Photo Tour requires hiking to reach the location and offers endless locations and compositions to explore. You won’t believe this place is just outside of St. George and rivals White Pocket for unique formations yet the views are WAY better! Join us and see for yourself!
Yant Flat Photo Tour – Sunset
(Sunrise upon request)
$350 – see below
Beginner to Expert
1 – 4 People
What to bring
- Headlamp. We’ll be hiking out in the dark
- Camera Body (Digital or Film)
- Various lenses. We generally use anything from an ultra wide-angle to medium telephoto.
- Tripod (highly recommended for this tour)
- Extra Batteries/charger.
- Circular Polarizer*
- Graduated Neutral Density filters*
- Extra memory cards/film (you’ll use them, guaranteed!)
- Hiking shoes/boots. We don’t recommend sandals or flip flops due to the rugged terrain.
- Extra layers. It can be cold at sunrise and sunset, even in the summer!
- No Food is provided.
- Transportation included. We’ll pick you up in St. George or Hurricane at your hotel and return after sunset.
- Tour Duration: About 7-8 Hours
- Meeting time 5 1/2 hours prior to sunset. Driving is about 1 hour each way.
- Example: P/U at 2PM. 3PM start hiking. 3:45PM start shooting. 7:45PM sunset. 8:30PM return to car. 9:15-9:30PM return. This is a full afternoon and evening and you’ll come away with many great images!
- Light to moderate hiking only. Hiking is required to reach Yant Flat (3 miles RT). Once there, additional hiking is required to reach many of the compositions. More information about hiking and conditions below.
- Yant Flat offers many areas to photograph throughout the evening and sunset. There is a lot to photograph here!
- Offered Year-Round but may be inaccessible in snow.
- All tours are fully prepaid at the time of booking.
- Cancellations 30 days or more from the tour date will receive a full refund.
- 29 days – 2 days prior: 75% will be refunded or you may reschedule based upon availability.
- Within 2 days: No refund offered, you may reschedule based upon availability.
- Please note “days” are full calendar days.
yant flat photography Tour pricing
- $350 – 1 Photographer
- $625 – 2 Photographers
- $900 – 3 Photographers
- $1100 – 4 Photographers
- $100 per Non-Photographer
- Limited to 4 people total
- 1 Photographer Minimum
- Private Tour – No additional people joining once booked for your group
Yant flat Hiking Requirements
- More hiking information for Yant Flat can be found here. The hike is relatively easy to reach Yant Flat and return. Most of the elevation gain/loss depends on how much you want to explore once you reach Yant Flat.
- Trail conditions to Yant Flat is mostly level with minor uphill sections over the course of 1 1/2 miles each way. Once you reach Yant Flat, the terrain quickly descends which is where the official trail ends. Here it’s all sandstone and open hiking as the canyons drop away. We’ll explore many areas and will require hiking on sandstone downhill, then uphill to return to the trail.s
- Hiking will be intentionally slow paced at all times, particularly once on the sandstone.
- Elevation gain and loss will be about 500 ft. We’ll partially descend into the canyon and return. We’ll customize the amount of hiking to the group and can hike more or less.
Yant flat Clothing and Gear Recommendations
- Hiking shoes or boots. No flip-flops or sandals please. The terrain can be rough for unprotected feet and Yant Flat itself is angled sandstone and not “flat” as the name suggests.
- Headlamp – charged or with fresh batteries. Please test this before we go. We’ll use them on the hike out.
- Sunscreen. The sun can be intense in Southern Utah on sandstone.
- Fun Attitude!
- Please contact us with any questions about gear recommendations for Yant Flat. We want you to be comfortable while shooting!
Yant Flat – Hiking at Sunset
Discover Yant Flat beyond the crowds of Zion!